Many Bible heroes struggled with doubts about God.
- At the Red Sea Moses cried out to God about the apparent hopelessness of his situation.
- Job wondered why God had allowed him to suffer so much.
- David wondered why he should live uprightly during distress while wicked men prospered.
- Gideon questioned the veracity God’s directive.
- Jeremiah questioned God’s fairness.
- While locked in prison, awaiting his eventual execution, John the Baptist doubted whether Jesus was actually the Messiah.
- Thomas doubted the resurrection of Jesus, despite witnessing his previous miracles and hearing his predictions about rising from the dead.
God highlights the unbelief of these men, in part, to reassure us that he is neither surprised nor offended by our doubts.