Some unbelievers claim faith in God and belief in the Bible are incompatible with science.
Conversely, some reborn believers contend the Biblical descriptions of creation nullify the need for scientific theories about how and when the world came about.
Both sides are basing their arguments on incomplete data.
Scientists have yet to discover and fully understand the science God built into the natural world.
The Bible describes the creation events in simple terms, with few details about how, when, or why they occurred.
Bible And Science Harmony
Only God knows how he created the world and its inhabitants. He alone understands how species propagated, both at creation and after the Big Flood. Only he knows how long it took for the world to reach its current state.
The God who created the universe and brought forth life is the same God who inspired the Bible writers. His internal consistency prevents him from revealing one version of world history through the Bible and a conflicting version through science.
We can therefore conclude that God, the Bible, and science are ultimately harmonious.
Simplicity Suited God’s Purpose
God knew the Bible would be read for thousands of years by disparate people groups with varying degrees of scientific knowledge. Technical details about the creation events would have overwhelmed most readers, even today.
God’s primary purpose for the Bible was to reveal himself, explain the state of the world, and present his salvation plan. Simple descriptions of the creation events were sufficient for this purpose.
Simple But Accurate
The Bible describes many aspects of the natural world in simple terms. These descriptions seem obvious to us today, but their accuracy was unknown for millennia. Thanks to modern science and space exploration, we now know they are true.
Here are a few examples of these natural facts, along with the corresponding Bible verses.
- The earth is a sphere. Isaiah 40:22. He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth
- The earth floats in space. Job 26:7. He spreads out the northern skies over empty space; he suspends the earth over nothing.
- The universe is expanding. Isaiah 42:5. This is what God the Lord says—the Creator of the heavens, who stretches them out
- Individual stars are unique. 1 Corinthians 15:41. The sun has one kind of splendor, the moon another and the stars another; and star differs from star in splendor.
- The earth and the human body share common building blocks. Genesis 2:7. the Lord God formed a man from the dust of the ground
These examples give us reason to believe that the Biblical descriptions of the creation events are also accurate, despite their simplicity.
Sufficient Information For Faith
We will fully understand the compatibility of God, the Bible, and science once we enter heaven. Until then, God has deemed the Biblical descriptions of creation sufficient to justify our faith in him, which is his top priority.
If God knew we truly needed more details about the creation events to trust him, the Bible would have been more explicit.